I finally got around to redesigning U.T.'s SIAM chapter website. I've been meaning to do it for months. The suitable effective kick in the pants was needing a site to house information for our upcoming student conference.
All in all I'm happy with it. I used
- some simple Dojo loaded via Google's AJAX hosting,
- a little Blueprint,
- lifting/revising content from both Pearl Flath's older chapter site and the official SIAM pages, and finally
- my feeble Inkscape logo design.
My three major complaints with my own work are:
- The back button is broken.
- I spent two hours futzing with dojo.back to get the back button to work. After I had it working, hitting back and then forward caused an infinite loop on page refresh. I gave up for now.
- None of the content can be indexed by a search engine (I think).
- Since all of the major content is loaded via dijit.layout.ContentPane.setHref fired with onClick events, I doubt a search engine can effectively index much of it. Something to check when I roll Google Analytics into the next update.
- I have raw email addresses in mailto links.
- I'm not sure how much server-side processing is permitted on this particular host. I need to move contact functionality into forms guarded by CAPTCHAs. Hopefully GMail's filter will save me in the meantime.