04 March 2010

Gram's Gob Recipe

My grandmother recently mailed me her gob recipe. Hands down, my Gram's are better than Yost's, your neighbor's, your mother's, or even your grandmother's. As a public service, I'm sharing this jewel.

Gram's Gobs

Cookies

Cream together
  • 2 cups sugar,
  • ½ cup crisco,
  • 2 eggs, and
  • 1 cup sour cream.
Then add 1 cup boiling water. Sift and add to the above
  • 4 cups flour,
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda,
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder,
  • ½ teaspoon salt, and
  • ½ cup cocoa.
Drop by tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° Fahrenheit for exactly 5 minutes. Remove from the sheet at once.

Filling

First, mix together
  • 5 tablespoons flour and
  • 1 cup milk.
Cook the mixture until very thick and then let it cool. Separately, use a mixer to mix until light and fluffy
  • 1 cup crisco or oleo,
  • 1 cup powdered sugar,
  • ¼ teaspoon salt, and
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Add the first mixture to the second mixture and mix well.

Assembly

Spread the filling between two cookies wrapping each one separately. Gram adds...

14 comments:

Alysia said...

Our grandmas have the same recipe! Sweet!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have found this -- I grew up "taste-testing" my grandma's gobs, and have never found anything even remotely like them. Commercial products just don't even come close! And reading up on the history makes me want to keep the tradition going. Good 'ole Johnstown, PA -- I never lived there, but my dad grew up in Johnstown. Can't wait to tell him I found this recipe. Thank you!

Unknown said...

My mom is from Johnstown, and I'm making these for her 82nd birthday!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Johnstown, PA! My entire family is from there and I go back often. I’m making this recipe for the first time today. I’m always amazed at how many people I meet who have connections to Johnstown. ♥️

Anonymous said...

I am in ligonier, small world

Anonymous said...

Just came here to find a gob recipe and read the comments. I’m from Somerset pa! What a small world!

Anonymous said...

I'm from Johnstown and I grew up making gobs then I moved away to williamsport about 3 hrs away and they only sell whoopie pies here and they are just not the same! So I've been looking and trying multiple recipes for an old fashion Johnstown gobs because I lost mine from when I was a kid. No surprise there . And I'm hoping this is the jne because the others I have tried just haven't been what I'm looking for!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, I stopped because I saw we use the same word - Gram. And I’m from Ebensburg and Gram’s in Elton 😂

Anonymous said...

My granddaughter’s favorite, Gram is going to make them. Gobs were a holiday favorite growing up in the Brownsville/Uniontown Area of PA.

Barbara Knisely said...

I am from Altoona, and live in Claysburg, and I too have been looking for the Ole fashioned recipe.I Will be making today.thank you, I will let you know if this is the one!!

Anonymous said...

I am from Johnstown, now in New Jersey, and recently lost my beloved Gob recipe. Looking forward to trying this one! My "Gram" in Windber made them too :)

Anonymous said...

Bedford pa here

Alma said...

I’m the Gram now and make my mom’s gob recipe …. exactly the same as this one ❤️ Grew up in Patton , Pa. ,just down the road from Johnstown …the fancy , big city we went to for holiday shopping .

Anonymous said...

So happy to see all the commenters from Pa!! That way I KNOW they’ll be good 😉. I’m originally from Uniontown but my parents moved across the state line to Oh., while still spending every weekend of my childhood in Pa.

Subscribe Subscribe to The Return of Agent Zlerich